Wednesday 13 February 2013

Jesus Loves me this I Know!

A few days ago, while heading to work, I passed by a mother taking her little girl to school. The little girl sang "Jesus Loves this I know" so loudly and with a lot of pride that I was just amazed. It was Clear to me that the little girl was proud that Jesus love for her was so certain that she was not ashamed of singing it out loud. That was last week.

Today morning, I wanted to observe the mood in the air. Being a Valentines day, I have spotted so many reds around. Unlike the little girl who probably has no idea what Valentines day means, the adults who know the meaning put more importance on Valentines and public display of love for fellow man rather than public display of their love for God.

I desired that I would turn back time and find myself being as young as the little girl. Jesus one time said that the kingdom of God belonged to those that  are like little children (Luke 18:16, Matthew 19:14, Mark 10:14). If I can sing out loudly every morning how Jesus loves me and how I love him, I would be proud to be associated with the same Jesus and to get others associated to him as well. 

The primary meaning of the word "love" in Scripture is a "purposeful commitment to sacrificial action for another. Today many will take pride in the fact that some one professes love to them. I take pride in the fact that Jesus did not just profess eternal love to me but he also demonstrated his love for me, that while I was still a sinner, Christ died for me (Romans 5:8). This love was demonstrated through a sacrificial action, he became the sacrificial lamb who ransomed me. Upon the cross He took my sin and by His blood he set me free.






Today, people will front emotions and the flesh will be glorified. People will exchange strong emotions for true love. Emotions will vary, but a commitment which has its basis in biblical love will not be affected by the whelm of emotion or of one's circumstances.

Our example of true love is shown in God's love for the sinner. Romans 5:8 says ". . .commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." The lost sinner living in rebellion and sin is still loved by the Lord. He loved us enough to die for us and pay our sin debt while we were sinning against Him. This shows that true biblical love is a matter of will....not of emotion. God choose to love us and His love was not based on our meriting it in any way. 

My love for God will be the basis of my love for man. Just as He has loved me so should I love my fellow man.

Happy Valentines Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment